Lee asked a few questions about the app, so I’ll answer ’em here…
– How do you handle interactive elements – like forms?
At the moment, it’s really only for static pages. Currently the way I’m doing this is keeping the “content” and the interactive parts of the site separated.
– Will it be designed to handle add-ons?
Add-ons is a big term. I don’t see why someone would not be able to extend it, but currently writing the ability in for add-ons like mambots is a little overkill for my purpose.
– Will you be able to make “on-the-fly” changes to the html/css with certain permissions?
Nope. Let me explain the permissions a little more in depth when you ask about users. There’s going to be one CSS file powering the entire site that the app uses (and that is all set up by me)
– Is there a permissions scheme for users?
See the next answer.
– How do you handle users?
Currently I am doing it through something called LDAP. Think about it like this – the username and password you have for logging in to your computer, checking your email, and file server permissions is all the same. Why give users another account to deal with? Also, our LDAP system forces passwords to be changed at a specified interval.
In an LDAP setup, there are also user groups or “organizational units”. The way our system is set up is that each department/entity has it’s own group. Instead of dealing with a lot of permissions, I give everyone in the “Group A” group the ability to do whatever they want to do to Group A’s website.
There is a global admin — and it’s pretty easy to change. Think of it like editing a config file. I have a control panel that lists all of our user groups and links to edit their sites.
– What about images? I uploaded an image, but now I don’t know how to link it… and does it make automatic thumbnails? (edit – n/m – I found it, it’s just not graphical)
Images are a big concern. I will be thinking about how I want to handle this…
– Why is the sky blue?
– Clicking on a child page does not keep the parent/child expanded menu open in nav
Right. Thank you. Will work on it.
– LOVE THE RE-ORDER NAV THING. HOLY CRAP, THAT IS COOL.
Thanks. Here’s how I did it.
– I did break it. I applied styles (custom bold, title) then de-applied them. Text disappeared. Plus, the text “here are the real questions” has the style “Code” applied – yet it doesn’t appear as such on the page.
I haven’t really done a lot of playing with the WYSIWYG except for pasting material in from MS Word with the “Paste from Word” button.