Tug of War
June 30, 2005
I keep going back and forth with Microsoft.
One day I’ll love them and have a deep respect for everything they’ve done for the world. Then the next day I’ll put on my FOSS hat and condemn us all.
- Ballmer says [We’ll catch Google] – “We can’t support open source, but we can support interoperability”
- [Longhorn (heart) RSS] – (RSS enclosures worry me)
I think Microsoft is going to run into trouble [Keeping up with the Jonses] with Google and Apple. Notoriously trite, the Slashdot comments (>=3) were excellent.
- Innovation does not need to happen at Microsoft in order to be successful.
- Longhorn will be a disaster. Vendor lock-in will be the company’s savior.
- Yahoo & Google will crush MSN’s Search/Spaces/Hotmail.
- As time goes on, development with .NET / SQL Server will decrease dramatically.
- Microsoft’s high point is sales/marketing. Nothing else.